top of page

GVMS (Goods Vehicle Movement System)

*Guidance from this post is accurate as of 01.03.2022. Guidance is gathered from HMRC sources.

From 01/01/2022 movements of all goods travelling by road, to or from the EU, will require submission of the details on GVMS to get a GMR (Goods Movement Reference). This must be done prior to departure from the UK or EU respectively.

Ultimately it is the haulier’s responsibility to make sure a GMR is created and that all documentation is in place before they get to their port of departure (from the EU or UK). The Haulier should ideally be the one to create a GMR as they are the ones controlling the movement. Intermediaries, such as Customs Brokers / Freight Forwarders, can do this on behalf of their contracted haulier but it is not the recommended course of action as the intermediary is a step removed from the physical movement.

Hauliers should register for a Government Gateway account which they can then use to register and access GVMS. If a haulier does not have a UK EORI then they will need to obtain one too.

• Click here to see HMRC guidance on registering for GVMS

• Click here to apply for an EORI

Each driver should have a copy of the GMR, with barcode, to present before boarding the ferry or train. Having this available on the phone or as a paper hard copy is fine.

From the 1st of February 2022 the easement to allow empty vehicles that are not under a transport contract to travel without a GMR has ended. A GMR will now be needed.

When freight is moving as accompanied then the Cab/Tractor unit should be the one noted on the GMR where you are asked for a VRN (Vehicle Registration Number). If goods are moving unaccompanied (I.E. the trailer/ container unit only are travelling to be collected on the other side) then the TRN (Trailer Reference number) can be noted instead.

References that need to be included in a GMR:

The type of reference to be included in a GMR depends on the direction of travel (import or export) and the procedure that is being used to travel (i.e. Carnet, Transit Procedures, Pre-lodgement method). The below customs references are required along with other information such as the vehicle number, UK port of entry or exit and operator details.

Imports into the UK: • Common Transit Convention (CTC) = Movement Reference Number (MRN) plus Entry Summary (ENS) MRN* • Import declaration = Entry Reference Number (ERN) plus ENS MRN* • Entry in Declarants Record (EIDR) = EORI number† plus ENS MRN* • ATA Carnet = Carnet Number • TIR Carnet = Carnet Number

Exports from the UK: • CTC = MRN plus Exit Summary (EXS) Declaration Unique Consignment Reference (DUCR) • Export declaration = DUCR • ATA Carnet = Carnet Number • TIR Carnet = Carnet Number plus EXS DUCR‡ • EXS DUCR‡

* Declaration is not required until 1 July 2022
† Must be the EORI number of the person authorised to use Simplified Customs Declaration Procedures (SCDP) (previously known as Customs Freight Simplified Procedures (CFSP)) This may not actually be the importer of the goods, but the person contracted to declare the goods on their behalf.
‡ EXS required only where there is no full customs declaration which includes the safety

From the 1st of January 2022, the driver/ haulier must follow HMRC instructions if the goods they are moving need to be inspected upon arrival to the UK. For certain ports such as Dover, Eurotunnel and Holyhead then you may get directed to an Inland Border Facility where the checks will be performed. In some cases, your driver may also get stopped within the border location they arrive at. This does not negate the need to travel to an IBF if the truck has been directed to do so too.

Drivers can check the status of their goods themselves using the ‘Check if you need to report for an inspection service’ if they have access to the internet. If not, then their office must advise them. This only applies to customs checks. Other checks from APHA or CITES may still apply and those notifications are separate from GVMS.

Hauliers, and or drivers, may be liable to a penalty by HMRC of up to £2500 if instructions are not followed.

Drivers need to pay attention to whether their GMR gets a Red or Green routing by customs on the way across the Channel. If the driver doesn’t have access to the internet to check this then they would need to check with their office.

• Green means they can proceed with their delivery.

• Red means the driver needs to procced to a border facility for further checks. If the driver needs to attend an inland border facility then guidance on attending one can be found by clicking here.

Goods moving under the CTC procedure upon arrival into the UK should either; report to a Customs location at port of arrival, travel to an Inland Border Facility or to an ETSF depot for discharge of the Transit Document. If the goods are travelling through to Ireland then they should continue on their journey.

Empty vehicles: If you have an empty vehicle then the empty option should be selected when completing the GMR. Empty vehicle means either 100% empty or those which contain recyclable packaging.

Exporting goods to the EU and the details you need to include on your GMR differ depending under which procedure you are exporting and at which port type (Arrived or Standard).

• Arrived Export locations (Arrived declarations)

Exporting goods through “Arrived“ locations, that are moving under CTC procedures means that just the Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) MRNs should be included within GVMS for your GMR. Any normal export, not under the CTC procedure, should use their export DUCRs.

• Standard Export locations (pre-lodged declarations)

You should use export DUCRs within GVMS even if goods are moving under CTC procedures. TAD MRNs will not be needed within GVMS for these movements.

• Rest of World movements with transit starting in the UK

The MRN from your TAD should be entered into GVMS as there should be no UK export declaration for these movements.

*Sometimes goods will just be in transit through the UK from Ireland. In these cases, the haulier would just be required to include the MRN of the Transit Document onto the GMR.

Drivers, or the Haulage company, should check the status of the GMR whilst crossing the channel and follow the guidance on where to report to or if they can proceed out of the EU port.

Empty vehicles: If you have an empty vehicle then the empty option should be selected when completing the GMR. Empty vehicle means either 100% empty or those which contain recyclable packaging.

Port Type – “Arrived” and “Standard”:

Export declarations from the following ports should be sent as “Arrived” (also known as P2P– Permission to Progress):

• Dover

• Eurotunnel

• Fishguard

• Heysham

• Holyhead

• Liverpool

• Pembroke

*Further details on arrived locations can be found here.

The “Standard” pre-lodged export procedure should be used when the port of exit has the infrastructure for pre-departure checks. Included within this pre-lodgement model is Sheerness and New Haven amongst other ports not listed above. The export declaration will be “Arrived” upon presentation at the port of exit. It’s at this point that Customs will decide if they need to inspect the goods. Export declarations for goods departing from pre-lodgement model ports will either be granted Permission to Progress or be selected for an exam first.

Important Final Note - All Import or Export declarations, submitted for goods arriving or departing on the GVMS system, should note code 'RRS01' in box 44 at header level.

Recent Posts

See All

2024 Container Port Tariff Schedules

*Guidance from this post is accurate as of 29.12.2023. Rates gathered from port and CSP resources. Rates may change at any time subject to the ports individual operational decisions. * New Year = New

Sailing a pleasure craft into UK waters?

It is common knowledge that if your classed as a non-uk resident and own your yacht (pleasure craft) then Temporary Admission (TA) relief rules apply whereby you can use it for recreational purposes o


bottom of page